Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Death at the Championships

It's unsettling to say the least. This year at the World Sauna Championships in Finland the two finalists, Russian Vladimir Ladyzhenskiy and Finn Timo Kaukonen both literally melted their skin in the 230 hot room.

Vladimir Ladyzhenskiy and Timo Kaukonen

230's really hot, and I've been in 230, and that's what's scary. But I don't think I've come close to melting my skin. But it's given me a lot to think about.

I guess in the end, the world of the sauna is not meant for competition. It's actually quite the opposite of what it's all about. This is a world of relaxation and restoration. The point is to listen to your body. The point of big heat like that is to touch your limit - not push it to the point of melting skin.

They've called a stop to the Championships, which is the right thing to do. But it probably never should have been started in the first place.

This guy, Rick Reilly, has the best piece on it. He's a former competitor and sports writer for ESPN.

Also, the gruesome photos embedded in Reilly's article of the melted Russian - I'd skip them if I were you.

No comments:

Post a Comment